Adverse Weather Conditions
It is that time of year when we need to prepare for the possibility of extreme weather conditions which may impact on the normal running of the school.
The purpose of this communication is to inform you of:
- The procedure for notifying parents of a school closure in the event of heavy snow.
- The steps the school will take to make the school site safe in the event of ice or snow.
A decision to close the school by the Headteacher and Chair of Governors will be taken in the following circumstances:
- A significant number of school staff are unable to travel to school owing to heavy snow (including those qualified to administer First Aid);
- The school site is inaccessible or unsafe for use by staff or children;
- Unexpected worsening conditions if children are already in school leading to the decision to close the school before 3:10 pm.
The school will notify parents of a decision to close the school in the following ways:
Safe Access to the School Site
- The School Website
- Parent Mail
- Local radio station (The Eagle 96.4fm)
In the event that there is severe ice or snow within the school grounds, the Mason Road Gate will remain locked and access for all children
will be limited to the Fernhill Road entrance with the following entry and pick up points into school:
Year R (Blue, Red, Yellow): Enter through Red Class entrance
Year 1 (Green, Orange, Purple): Enter through the main school hall
Year 2 (Moon, Star, Sun): Enter through the Y2 side entrance (adjacent to main school entrance/staff car park.
To ease congestion along the path, the doors will be opened slightly earlier to allow parents/carers to drop the children and leave immediately.
Ms E Dare, Headteacher